2019 Honda Passport is Car & Driver’s Best Rated Midsize SUV
The team at Car & Driver just conducted a mid-size crossover match-up to help you find the best model to fit your needs. Covering three days and 550 miles over California’s southern and central valleys, their search for the best rated midsize SUV resulted in the following rankings:
- 5th: 2019 Nissan Murano
- 4th: 2019 Ford Edge
- 3rd: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer
- 2nd: 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
- 1st: 2019 Honda Passport
Read on to find out how the new Honda Passport so effortlessly outperformed the competition.
High and Lows from Car & Driver’s Midsize Comparison
2019 Nissan Murano:
- “Highs: Cushy front seats, best ride in the group.
- Lows: Raucous engine, F-body space efficiency, CVT.
- Verdict: Perfect if all you ever do is coast short distances downhill with a single passenger.”
2019 Ford Edge:
- “Highs: Seriously silent, low-stress engine, good grip.
- Lows: Tall hoodline, bizarre control relationships, overweight, underdamped.
- Verdict: It’s as awkward in daily use as it is on a mountain road.”
2019 Chevrolet Blazer:
- “Highs: Rewarding control feel and response, quick.
- Lows: Pricey, harshest ride, recalcitrant downshifts.
- Verdict: An SUV for blazing down back roads and burning through your savings.”
2019 Hyundai Santa Fe:
- “Highs: Inexpensive, packaged like Costco, feature-laden.
- Lows: Blasé control feel, merely adequate dynamics.
- Verdict: Simple, usable, economical, effective. It’s the practical family’s choice.”
2019 Honda Passport:
- “Highs: Big on space, small from behind the wheel, quick, priced right.
- Lows: Enough with the push-button shifter already, still needs more knobs.
- Verdict: The best combination of utility and driving pleasure also comes with a reasonable price tag.”
What Makes the Honda Passport Stand Out?
Noting that it “provides the most cargo volume” and “earned the best observed fuel economy”, Car & Driver write that “Honda squarely nails those details necessary to be a legit family-hauling utility wagon”.
Just a few key specs and features include:
- 280 hp, 262 lb-ft of Torque 3.5L V6 Engine
- Intelligent Traction Management as Standard
- Up to 100.7 Cubic Feet of Cargo Space
- Up to 115.9 Cubic Feet of Passenger Volume